Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Were Hard for me to Finish

People like to talk about what books they loved, but have you ever discussed what books were hard for you to finish?  Here's my list:


1.    I read the first Twilight book, but as the series went on I found it harder and harder to keep going.  By the time I got to Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer, I just could not finish it.


2.   Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn is an adult book that is going to be a movie with Ben Affleck later this year.  I hated the characters so much I wished they were both dead. 


3.  Wicked:  The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire was a really tough read for me.  So tough I tried twice to read this book, and wasn't successful either time. 


4.   Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell just did not appeal to me - I really enjoyed Eleanor and Park, but the whole "Simon Snow" thing just made me wish for Harry Potter - the real Harry Potter.


5.    Insurgent by Veronica Roth.  I read Divergent, thought it was OK, but was not inspired to move on.  I actually enjoyed the Legend series by Marie Lu much more than this series!


6.   Dreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor.  I loved the first book, Daughter of Smoke & Bone, but my interest waned as the books went on.  Maybe trilogies are just not my thing? 


7.   The Promise of Amazing by Robin Constantine had such a cute cover - such promise!  I did not like the main characters at all, and the storyline?  I did not find it amazing - I found it irritating.


8.    Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley won the Printz award a few years ago.  I did not hate this book, but I can't say I loved it.  It was a sad and difficult read.  The ending was not concrete - definitely a book for a more sophisticated reader. 


9.   Between the Lines, a collaboration by Jodi Picoult and her daughter Samantha Van Leer was not a typical Jodi Picoult novel.  And I don't mean that in a good way, because I love Jodi Picoult's novels. 


10.    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffennegger.  I love the concept of time travel, so everyone assumes I love this book.  I don't.  I found it very disconcerting how a grown man would pop up naked in front of a young girl, and then eventually they marry.  I felt creepy just reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment