Thursday, September 4, 2014

TBT: Books I Read in High School that I Still Think About....

Throw Back Thursday.  High School Required Reading.  It makes most people shudder, but every now and then, a gem slips through and affects you.  Have any of your required reading books taken you by surprise?  Have you (gulp) actually liked a few?  Have they ever prompted you to read more works by the same author?  Here's my list of books I was required to read, that really made an impact on me. 


 
check the catalog here


A Separate Peace by John Knowles was required reading when I was in high school.  The themes of friendship, jealousy, impulsive decisions, and how they affect the rest of your life stayed with me long after I finished the book.  One of the forerunners of prep school drama novels. 



check the catalog here


The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.  It seems like this is a book people either love or hate, and I loved it.  I loved it so much I went to my public library and read every F. Scott Fitzgerald book and short story I could get my hands on.  Yes, I am that much of a nerd. 



check the catalog here


Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh made me fall in love with all things British.  Before there was Downton Abbey, there was Brideshead Revisited on PBS.  It is was made me discover the BBC, and want to make a pilgrimage to the British Isles (which I did after I graduated from college!).





check the catalog here


"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." So begins A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens novel of the French Revolution.  This book is one of my all time favorites by Dickens, although A Christmas Carol is right up there.  Sydney Carton's supreme sacrifice stayed with me for a long time...



check the catalog here


The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner was not like anything else I had ever read before.  I had to read it for an American Lit course and most of my friends HATED it.  I loved it, and every since have liked reading Southern Fiction.  The quirkier the characters, the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment