Thursday, April 3, 2014

Teen Book Fest Author Profile: Andrew Smith

18079719
check the catalog here


Sixteen-year-old Austin Szerba interweaves the story of his Polish legacy with the story of how he and his best friend , Robby, brought about the end of humanity and the rise of an army of unstoppable, six-foot tall praying mantises in small-town Iowa.

To make matters worse, Austin's hormones are totally oblivious; they don't care that the world is in utter chaos: Austin is in love with his girlfriend, Shann, but remains confused about his sexual orientation. He's stewing in a self-professed constant state of maximum horniness, directed at both Robby and Shann. Ultimately, it's up to Austin to save the world and propagate the species in this sci-fright journey of survival, sex, and the complex realities of the human condition.

Five Fun Facts about Andrew:

1. I raise horses, dogs, cats, and chickens.

2. I have run 30 marathons (that's 26.2 miles each) and finished all of them.

3. The first job I ever had--when I was 16 years old--was writing for a local newspaper.

4. I was the first child in my family born in the U.S., and my mother could not speak English when I was born.

5. When I was a teenager, I made a list of things I wanted to accomplish in my life. Most of those things were really stupid--like climbing Mount Everest. Why would I EVER want to climb Mount Everest? The first thing on the list, however, was "write a book." I wrote several novels when I was in High School. They were all TERRIBLE.


Andrew Smith is coming to Teen Book Fest on Saturday, May 17, 2014 at Nazareth College.  The fun begins at 9:00 a.m.  Check out his latest book, Grasshopper Jungle, or maybe Winger, his book from last year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment