Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Teen Tuesday: This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl

17675031
check the catalog here


A collection of the journals, fiction, letters, and sketches of the late Esther Grace Earl, who passed away in 2010 at the age of 16. Photographs and essays by family and friends will help to tell Esther’s story along with an introduction by award-winning author John Green who dedicated his #1 bestselling novel The Fault in Our Stars to her.


This Star Won't Go Out is a glimpse into Esther's life, via a scrapbook-like biography told through Esther's own drawings, diary entries, handwritten notes, stories from her family, and a letter from one of her doctors. There is a beautiful and heartfelt introduction to the book by John Green:
"Esther's story belonged to her, and fortunately for us she was an extraordinary writer, who in these pages tells that story beautifully. I find comfort in that, but make no mistake: I am still pissed off that she died. I still miss her. I still find her loss an intolerable injustice. And I wish she'd read The Fault in Our Stars. I am astonished that the book has found such a broad audience, but the person I most want to read it never will."


Esther's parent's also had an introduction in the book. 


"From the time she was little, Esther was certain she was going to be a writer.  And we believed her.  She loved words, felt their power, and believed in the magic of story.  Her writings now belong to you, the reader." 


A 16=-year-old Goodreads reviewer named April had this to say about the book:


"I know it’s cliché to say this, but I truly have never been more thrilled to receive a book in the mail. Esther is up there with J. K. Rowling and Evanna Lynch on my list of supreme role models. I’ve never spoken to Esther, but the way her friends, family, and even those like me speak about her is inspiring. She passed away from thyroid cancer when she was my age, sixteen. In those sixteen years, she left a legacy of a loving, caring, and empathetic person. In the words of her friend Teryn, “Esther was not perfect, but she was the epitome of how to be imperfect.”

 My usual problem with nonfiction — biographies in particular — is how impersonal they can feel. But the Earls, as they say of Esther, are welcomers. This book isn’t just sentence after sentence of facts about Esther’s life. It’s all the emotions and experiences of her, her family, and her friends." 

No comments:

Post a Comment