Monday, February 3, 2014

Middle School Monday: Radio Girl by Carol Brendler

radio
check the catalog here

Genre/Audience: Middle grade, historical fiction
Publication: Holiday House, 2013
Source: Library
Reviewed by:  Stephanie Cervantes

Radio Girl is a super cute middle grade read that I picked up on a whim one day at work during my shift in the children’s room.

It takes place in the 1930s and stars 14 year old Cece, whose dream is to become a radio star. Against her parent’s wishes and without their knowledge, she sneaks off to the Big Apple on the ferry each Saturday where she’s landed herself a job at the CBS radio studio, performing small tasks like typing up news reports. She’s lucky enough to meet Orson Welles, amongst other famous radio actors, and even lands a few small on-air roles doing sound effects. All this seems great until things come to head and Cece uncovers some heartbreaking family secrets.

This really was a fun and enjoyable historical novel. Cece was sassy, funny, and wise. She had this big dream and she would do anything she could to achieve it – even if it meant breaking the rules a little. In that sense, she was admirable (if a little naughty!). I liked her a lot, and I also really enjoyed the 30s lingo. I’d recommend this to middle grade readers who enjoy a strong heroine and historical fiction. I’m really not a historical fan, but I still found myself getting invested in the story.

My Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment