Thursday, March 7, 2013

A 5 Star Read: Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys


click here for catalog access

From Goodreads.com: 
It’s 1950, and as the French Quarter of New Orleans simmers with secrets, seventeen-year-old Josie Moraine is silently stirring a pot of her own. Known among locals as the daughter of a brothel prostitute, Josie wants more out of life than the Big Easy has to offer. She devises a plan get out, but a mysterious death in the Quarter leaves Josie tangled in an investigation that will challenge her allegiance to her mother, her conscience, and Willie Woodley, the brusque madam on Conti Street.

Josie is caught between the dream of an elite college and a clandestine underworld. New Orleans lures her in her quest for truth, dangling temptation at every turn, and escalating to the ultimate test.

With characters as captivating as those in her internationally bestselling novel Between Shades of Gray, Ruta Sepetys skillfully creates a rich story of secrets, lies, and the haunting reminder that decisions can shape our destiny.

I LOVED this book.  This has been my favorite book so far in 2013 (I've read 17 so far) and I know it will be one of my favorite books from this year.  Josie is a very strong personality, who is struggling to better herself in a world that sees her as a prostitute's daughter.  Josie manages to survive on her own, and surround herself with characters that help her in her quest to go to college.  There is a romance in the book, and you will be hoping that Josie makes the right choice where her suitors are concerned!  The characters in the story are portrayed vividly, and with depth.  Willie, the madam of the brothel, is a surprisingly complex character that despite her brusque exterior, is really 100% behind Josie.  Here's a review from Pixie Pageturners that sums up how I feel about Out of the Easy:

"Although I want to gush gush gush about this book....I am keeping this review short because I do not want to spoil anything and because nothing I will say will equate the awesomeness of Out of the Easy. I adored everything about this book, the story, the city and especially the characters; they are all so well developed and part of Jo's journey. Willie was by far my favorite character; she is this hardened madam, who won't take crap off of anyone...but she loves Josie and let's her make her mistakes and finds her own path; she wants what is best for her. If you read one book this year...read this one, you won't regret it."

5 out of 5 stars *****

2 comments:

  1. Claire, I usually don't read historical fiction, but your review is making me considering reading this one! Josie and Willie sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you would like it Steph - really good character development!

    ReplyDelete