Monday, October 1, 2012

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Middle School Monday

Wonder by R. J. Palacio
Synopsis (from Author's website):August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?
This has been one of the most talked about books of the summer by library staff.  Although perfect for middle school, it has been enjoyed by older students and adults.  Here's an excerpt of the first chapter:  "I eat ice cream.  I ride my bike.  I  play ball.  I have an XBox.  Stuff like that makes me ordinary, I guess.  And I feel ordinary.  Inside.  But I know ordinary kids don't make other ordinary kids run away screaming in playgrounds.  I know ordinary kids don't get stared at wherever they go.  If I found a magic lamp and I could have one wish, I would wish that I had a normal face that no one ever noticed at all."   Wow.  Powerful stuff!

This book has struck a chord with so many people that it has spurred an anti-bullying movement on tumblr called "Choose Kind". You can click the badge below and read more about the campaign.


No comments:

Post a Comment