Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday - Sponsored by the Broke and the Bookish.  Today's Theme:  My Top Ten Historical Fiction Novels!

1.  Time and Again by Jack Finney.  A time travel classic about New York in the late 1800's.  One of my favorite books of all time.
2.  The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.  I've read this book twice, and loved it both times.  I made my daughters read it, too - a classic.
3.  The Help by Kathryn Stockett.  I am definately partial to Southern Fiction, and this one was unforgetable.  I will definately read this one again, too.
4.  The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak.  Truly one of the most memorable books I've ever read, and the only one narrated by "Death".  A German foster child, Leisel, Germany, the Holocaust, first love, and a hidden Jewish man in the basement - memorable characters, a love of books - unforgettable.
5.  I Was Jane Austen's Best Friend by Cora Harrison.  Based on the true story of Jane's cousin visiting Jane and finding a suitor - charming and wonderful for Austen addicts like me!
6.  Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys.   A very powerful story about a 15 year old Lithuanian girl, Lina, who is deported to Siberia by Stalin's forces in 1941. 
7.  Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick.  Two stories, one set in the 1970's, the other in the 1920's, that magically weave together.  Selznick's detailed pencil drawings tell the stories of Rose, and words tell the story of Ben.
8.  Distant Waves:  A Novel of the Titanic by Suzanne Weyn.  This was a fun read that involved 5 sisters, and their mother, a famous clairvoyant who lived in Spirit Vale, New York.  Tesla, the Titanic, and the paranormal. Who could ask for more?
9.  The Little House Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder.  My favorite historical fiction series during my childhood.
10.  And Ladies of the Club by Helen Hooven Santmyer.  An Epic work of over 1,100 pages that took Santmyer over  50 years to finish!  All about the town of Waynesboro, Ohio, from post Civil War to the beginning of the Depression, the book follows a woman's book group for most of their lives.  I cried at the end of this book, and felt like I lost a friend when I finished. 

Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres.  I hope something on my list inspires you!


No comments:

Post a Comment